St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner. If you plan to celebrate the festive Irish holiday with alcoholic beverages, make sure you have a safe ride home.
According to data compiled by WalletHub, 75% of drivers involved in a fatal crash during St. Patrick’s Day festivities are more than two times over the legal limit. In many bars and restaurants, drinking starts in the early morning hours and continues all day and into the evening. That’s why it’s so important before the celebrations begin, to have a plan in place to get home safely.
Below are some simple steps to ensure a safe St. Patty’s Day:
- Plan a safe way home before the parties start.
- Designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
- Be certain the chosen driver is committed to staying sober and drug-free.
- Use public transportation.
- Call a taxi service, Uber or Lyft.
- Use the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) SaferRide app. It allows users to call a taxi or a friend and identify their location so they can be picked up.
- Have a group of friends chip in for a limo service or party bus.
- If you are around people who might drive impaired, take their keys and help them make other travel arrangements.
- Report impaired drivers to local law enforcement immediately.
Have fun celebrating and have a happy, safe St. Patty’s Day!