AARP Foundation is providing free tax preparation for low-to-moderate income seniors ages 60 and older. The tax aide clinic is located at Warren City Hall in the 1st floor conference room. Sessions are held every Monday and Wednesday (with the exception of Presidents Day) from 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. through April 10.
You should bring the following items when you visit Warren’s AARP Tax-Aide clinic:
• Picture ID & Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents.
• Previous year’s Income Tax returns (Federal, State & Local).
• SSA-1099 Social Security benefit statements
• W-2 Wages statements
• W-2G Gambling Winning statements. Bring documentation of gambling losses if itemizing deductions
• 1099-R Pension, Annuity, and/or IRA Distribution statements
• 1099-INT Interest statements, 1099-DIV Dividend statements
• 1099-B complete Brokerage statements
• 1099-G State Refund or Unemployment Compensation statements
• 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income statements
• 1095-A Marketplace Health Insurance coverage or Healthcare Exemption statements
• Home Business Income & Expense documentation (limitations: sole employee, no inventory, no depreciation, no “home” office expenses)
• K-1 schedules (often contains items beyond our Scope of Help)
• SSI, DHS FIP benefit information
• Special item documentation (sale of main home, copies of Power-of-Attorney or Death Certificates, etc.)
• 1040-ES proof of payment for estimated (Federal, State, Local) taxes
This is a partial list. When in doubt, bring any and all documentation with you.
IF ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS: bring documentation supporting all deductible items (unreimbursed medical expenses, incl. insurance premium payments; charitable contributions; property taxes paid; home mortgage interest payments; auto registration; etc.)
IF CLAIMING ANY FEDERAL OR STATE TAX CREDITS: bring support documentation (dependent child care provider info, post-secondary education expenses, health insurance info and evidence of out-of-pocket premium cost, 2018 property tax bills, year-end heating bills, breakout cost for medical portion of auto Personal Injury Protection coverage, etc.) NOTE: Renters must provide landlord name/address information and housing classification (for MI Homestead Property Tax Credit).
Taxpayers with complex tax returns: showing amortization; depreciation; rental properties; business income with more than $25,000 in expenses or showing a net loss; participation in limited partnerships; multiple pages of asset transactions, etc. will be advised to seek professional tax help. For direct deposit of refund(s) you must present a valid (or voided) personal check.