Planning a backyard BBQ this Labor Day? Before you heat up the grill for the last big cookout of the summer, check out the following outdoor grilling safety tips provided by the Warren Fire Department.
1. Use only natural gas, charcoal briquettes or propane.
2. Keep your grill clean. Remove grease buildup from both the grill and the tray.
3. Keep the grill at least 15 feet from buildings or structures. Do not use grills in garages or on apartment balconies.
4. Never turn on gas with the grill lid closed.
5. Keep children and pets away from the grill while it’s in use.
6. Be ready to put out a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher near the grill. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, keep a bucket of sand nearby. Never use water to put out a grease fire.
7. If you use a charcoal grill, allow the coals to cool before safely disposing of them.
8. Remember, open burning is prohibited in the City of Warren.
Remember these easy-to-follow tips and enjoy the Labor Day weekend!